Our detailed guide to massage neck the right way;
There is a big chance that someone has asked you to do a neck massage but you didn’t really know how to do it. It is then likely that you didn’t do it the right way. The reason why I decided to write this article was to help out those who don’t know how to perform a neck massage. Hopefully, after reading through this short step-by-step guide you will have a better idea how to do so.
In case there is anyone in your family or maybe yourself who suffers from neck pain you should consider buying a neck massager. Due to today’s advanced technology there are a lot of great options in the market, and they don’t cost a fortune. If you are interested in buying a neck massager, you should check out this buying guide where I wrote about the best neck massagers available on the market today.
For now, let’s see what I found to be the best neck massage method after giving countless neck massages. Below are the main steps on how to give a proper seated massage:
Below are the main steps on how to give a proper seated massage:
- Comfortable seated position: this is very important, one of the crucial steps if you want to give a great massage. If the person is not in a comfortable position believe me, your neck massage won’t be as effective as it could be.
- Try to use light, long strokes – if you find some tension knots you can use focused pressure
- Do not forget to warm up the muscles in the very beginning. Without doing so you may cause more harm than good.
- Glide the fingers up and down the neck
- Pinch along the back of the neck
- Glide your hands down the sides of the neck from the top of the neck to the front of the shoulder
- Apply some broad pressure to the spine – make sure you don’t use focused pressure at this step as it may hurt to the person
- Pay a bit of attention to the upper chest as well – It is not the main focus of neck massage but taking care of this part too will definitely make the results better
- Do not forget about the upper arms either. Arms are closely working together with muscles in the neck, so massaging it will benefit the neck as well.
- Don’t focus too long on one area as after a while it may get uncomfortable to the person. Instead, cycle above motions in an un-patterned manner
- Do not forget to use all parts of your hand. Doing so not only will make giving a massage less painful to you but will also make the experience to the massaged person better
- Do not try to massage the bones. We are massaging muscles, not bone. Putting pressure on the bone will not benefit the person receiving the massage, it will only hurt.
- Do all above steps as long as needed.
If you follow these simple steps you will surely give a great neck massage. I cannot emphasize though that in case someone who is close to you needs his or her neck to be massaged often you should think about buying a quality neck massager.